Monday, June 26, 2006

Pride Celebration, San Francisco

Last weekend I had to check out what was described to me as a "cultural experience" like no other, the Pride parade and celebration in San Francisco, billed as the largest one around. The feather boa factories must've been running three shifts leading up to this weekend. As an open-minded straight guy now living in San Francisco (and with a gay brother), what struck me was not the occasional, and really unsolicited, nudity or the crazy outfits, but the amount of support given from the regular breeder population such as myself. The main highlight for me was witnessing Esera Tuaolo perform, the former Green Bay Packer and Pro Bowler who is now out of the closet. The last time I saw him in person was years ago at Lambeau Field when he was on the d-line killing running backs. Sunday, he was belting out an R&B version of Lennon's Imagine in a traditional Hawaiian skirt-thing. Both were equally frightening.
Yahoo's blurb on the origin of the rainbow flag design.

No comments: