Saturday, June 24, 2006

VW brings back the Rabbit. Huh?

So I click on an interesting banner I had found on The Onion's website, about something called The Gypsy Cab Project, about some guy from Denver who's picked to be a NYC gypsy cab driver for, like, two weeks (note: in Pittsburgh, they're called jitney cabs). Almost like a taxi cab confessions sort of deal, it's actually pretty interesting, and I wish I were in New York so I could call this guy for a ride. I couldn't figure out who the sponsor of the site was at first, or what it was even selling, if anything, but then I saw the small VW badge at the bottom. Of course, who else? The purpose of the site is to promote the upcoming 2007 VW Golf, which will go back to it's old nameplate, The Rabbit. As a Golf owner myself, who's been looking forward to the release of the latest model (and possibly buying one), I'm not too fond of this decision. It makes about as much sense to me as going back to calling the Jetta sedan the Fox, or bringing back the Gremlin or Pinto name. Now, the original Rabbit had a much better reputation than the latter two autos, but there's still a 70's, unsexy connotation to the name, for me at least.

No comments: