Wednesday, July 12, 2006

PNC Park Architecture

I attended MLB All-Star weekend in Pittsburgh, held at PNC Park, which I'm sure most of my overdraft fees helped finance. It's been billed as the "Best Ballpark in America" by most sportswriters, and I'd have to agree. Spectaular views of the rivers, downtown, and bridges, bringing the city skyline seemingly within arm's reach of the fans. Architect Christopher R. Haupt, AIA, used curved blue steel I-beams and trusses, mimicking the form of the nearby bridges, and clad them with a tan limestone fascade, a departure from the usual red brick. And it's great seeing people swim to fight for a homer hit into the Allegheny river. The traffic layout and information design is also well thought out, or at least it's better than most parks, allowing lumbering Pirate fans to mope their way out of the stadium in a civilized manner

No comments: